This coconut banana dessert is one of the most popular and best-known sweet dishes in Cambodia. It’s quick and easy to make – we hope you enjoy trying it.
- 450g Saba banana (sweet plantain), or regular bananas (the firmer the better)
- 1900ml water
- 150g clear tapioca pearls
- 2 x 400ml cans of coconut milk
- 200g granulated sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Slice the bananas diagonally into small pieces and put to one side.
- Bring the water to the boil in a pan then add the tapioca. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until almost translucent (about 10–15 minutes). Add the coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
- After about 5 minutes check that the sugar has fully dissolved. Check for seasoning – add more salt or sugar if required. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Now mix in the bananas. If using Saba bananas, cook for a further 10–15 minutes. With regular bananas 5 minutes should be enough to heat them through without them falling apart too much.